Find a Gem Seal Representative Near You
Find a Gem Seal Distributor Near You
Learn more about the Gem Seal quality story
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: What is Asphalt?
- A: Asphalt is composed of mineral aggregates compacted into place and held together by petrolem-based asphalt cement, which acts as a glue or binder. A fine, cost-effective product, but not maintenance-free.
- Q: How do I choose an applicator company?
- A: Reputable contractors use quality materials, provide quality workmanship and are proud of their work. Ask them for a list of their customers so that you can check references.
- Q: Why does asphalt need to be sealed?
- A: Sealers will protect asphalt from petroleum spills of fuel, oil and solvents, which attack the pavement and seep deep beneath the surface, softening the asphalt and reducing adhesion. They will also protect against the sun and rain, which cause oxidation that can lead to raveling, cracks and even potholes.
- Q: Why aren't roads and highways sealed?
- A: Unlike parking lots and driveways, highways are constantly re-compacted by continuous traffic. Further, highways are not subject to the continuous attack of petroleum derivatives in specific spots or patterns.
- Q: What is asphalt sealer made of?
- A: GemSeal is made of a blend of high-grade ball clays, water, refined coal tar and proprietary emulsifier milled into a coal tar emulsion to generate a paint-like coating which insulates the petroleum-based asphalt from potential petroleum spillage and reduces the normal aging cycle of the asphalt.
- Q: How long will the sealer last?
Depending on the current condition of your pavement, there may be a need to fill cracks, dig out soft spots damaged by petroleum spills, fill in potholes and generally patch the pavement. Then a recommended two coats of GemSeal could save you from costly repaving.
- Q: Are all sealers alike?
- A: No. GemSeal brand sealers were perfected from more than 50 years of manufacturing and testing experience, and are specially formulated to contend with the particular paving problems of our local climates. GemSeal's proprietary processes, industry leading quality control program, and ongoing research and development assures GemSeal, the oldest sealer brand in continuous existence in the industry, is simply the best.